Our good friend Carolyn brought over fresh tomatoes from Grandpa Humphrey’s garden today and we immediately thought of gazpacho. Gazpacho is a tomato-based soup originating from the southern Spanish region made with raw vegetables and usually served cold. It can’t get any easier than “throw everything in the blender and give it a whirl!” In fact, we found this recipe in our Vitamix recipe book but any blender will do. Add chopped bits of tomato and cucumber to the finished product for a chunkier soup. The Chipotle EVOO adds just the right amount of kick but if you want more heat, you can always substitute our Baklouti EVOO!
- 1½ cups canned, bottled or fresh tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Olive This! Red Barrel Aged Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive This! Chipotle EVOO, or Baklouti EVOO
- 1 very large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes (about ¾ pounds) plus extra for the bowls if you want chunky soup.
- 1 cucumber (about ½ pound) plus extra for the bowls if you want chunky soup
- ½ small onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ sweet green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Since everything goes in the blender, you don’t need to chop the vegetables finely or evenly. Cut the cucumber, tomatoes, onions and bell pepper into large pieces. The small chunks of tomato and cucumber added at the end will come later.
Place the tomato juice, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, EVOO and red wine vinegar into the blender. Start on a very slow speed until the chunks are blended. Speed up and puree to your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
MAKES ABOUT 2½ CUPS
Have a comment? We’d love to hear from you. Have you tried this dish? Do you have a variation that you think others will enjoy? Leave us a comment below (providing your email address is not necessary).
Want to print this recipe without all the photos? Use the green print button above the feature photo at the top of this page and you can print with or without the images. Once you’re in the print module look in the header for the checkbox that says “Remove Images”.
528 total views, 0 views today